Marking them off one by one - My completed bucket list items

Completed Bucket list Items


UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Since I stay pretty busy, this page is still being updated! I have not added all the stories about my adventures, but I am adding them little by little, so please come back again and check them out later to see more! 

My bucket list seems to be growing faster than I can mark off items! We all know the story "life happens" and it has happened right through the middle of my list. That does not mean I have stopped trying. It just slows things down a bit! So here is a list of the items that I have done so far! 

If you have not seen my bucket list, check it out HERE!!

Sit Front Row At a Performance (2020)

Ride a Horse Drawn Carriage to see Christmas Lights (2020)

Walk Across a Suspension Bridge (2020)

Visit Oklahoma Bombing Site (2020)

Visit Pioneer Woman Lodge (2020)

Visit Sun Studios in Memphis (2019)


This was the actual mic used by multiple artist while they recorded their songs! 



Visit Arethra Franklins Birthplace (2019)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1s_SboRNGxQwDYeXWWRBABJs6IWwjdBJh



Go to Disney World (2019)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dUGfXNYT61HzHUBJ7Kge4P_-yoTaPy6m


Go to Daytona Beach (2019)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1H4TFXEDymtJY0YAkEeLFg7Lf1IubYp39

Attend a Star Party at McDonald Observatory (2018)


See  a Christmas ICE exhibit (2018)


See the Prada Store in Marfa (2018)

Own my own paid off vehicle (2018)- I purchased a 2004 Ford Expedition. It is the first car that I have personally paid off and owned! And I love it. I tell everyone that I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off. So far so good because it has 270,000 miles and still has 4 wheels!

Visit Huffman Prairie Flying Field (2018)- As life has a way of doing, my parents dealt with a complete chaotic job situation when the church he was preaching at decided to close its doors. Although he felt called to preach, he took a job for a company out of Dallas and was almost immediately sent to Ohio. There he was talked with a complete remodel of the Exchange on the Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Although he did get to come home every couple of months, it was still a long year of being gone. To help with the distance, my mother, Gracie, and I decided to take a road trip to visit him. (Read all about our adventure here). He was living in Huber Heights, OH. On the base where he was working is the field where the Wright Brothers worked on flying their planes after their initial off ground test in NC. It is just a huge field with a few things scattered around for you to read and look at. But, to know the history that was made there made it such a beautiful and interesting visit.

Visit Carillon Historical Park in Ohio (2018)- While we were in Ohio, we visited the Carillon Historical Park. It is a large complex of historic buildings and museums that talk about the history of Dayton. There were too many things to list that were on site for you to see. Among my favorites was a small school house that still sits like it is waiting for a class to get back from recess. For a parent that home-schools, buildings like that just move me in a way that I cant explain. I love the simplicity of the times and these historic buildings speak to my soul! There is also a carousal there and we all rode it. It was my moms first time to ride one.

Eat Cincinnati Chili (2018)- I love to try the "local favorite" when I travel anywhere. Places always seem to have some item, that to outsiders seems strange, but is a staple to the people who call that area home. In Ohio I was told it was the chili. Being a Texas girl, I was not sure anyone should tell me to try their chili. We wont even begin to get in to the beans or no beans debate. So, when I got to the Skyline Restaurant in Cincinnati Ohio, I was weary of what I would soon be tasting. Here in Texas, at most of our meals, we are immediately served chips and salsa at the table. So, imagine my surprise when they brought us a very odd version of that. Oyster crackers and hot sauce (not salsa - hot sauce.. think Louisiana hot sauce). I wasn't sure what to think, but it actually wasn't bad. Then it was time to order. You could get the chili a few different ways... all of them involved.. SPAGHETTI... Yes, you heard me. They put the chili on noodles and then top it with cheese. You can also get beans and/or onions on it, but I didn't choose those as options. Despite my apprehension about the meal, it was delicious.

Visit the Ark Encounter in KY (2018)- Last big item on the list from our Ohio trip is our visit to the Ark Encounter. The words I can fit in this blog will never be sufficient to explain what I saw and felt during this visit. To see the enormity of what Noah built and to get to visually see how they made the situation work, was such a spectacular thing. The attraction in itself, for just what it is, is amazing. But the extras that it had to offer made it worth more that the ticket prices! Besides the ark itself, there were some shops, food vendors, and a small zoo. They also offer camel and donkey rides. (UPDATE: Since our visit in 2018 I have seen a few updates on their Facebook page that they have since added play areas, an update to the zoo, and lots more sitting areas. They continue to expand and add things.)

Visit Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas (2018) - When we were planning our next days off one evening, the idea of Dinosaur Valley State Park came up. We decided to make it a day trip to Glen Rose. Neither of us had ever been, but we had been talking about the trip for over a year. During our visit we first went to the Dinosaur World Museum. It isn't actually part of the state park, but I think for a visit to the area with young kids, its a must. The basic tickets that we got were somewhere around $10-$12 a piece. They offer a few other packages that include some other fun activities, but they were not available the day we went. During our visit we saw lots of life size (or close to life size) models.It also has a play area for your littles! It was a lot of fun and we are so glad that we decided to go.
After we left Dinosaur World, we headed to the actual state park. It was beautiful. We hiked down to the river and we were able to see actual dino footprints in the rocks. It was still cool when we went, but in warmer weather, the river looks like it would be a nice place to cool off. There are lots of places to hike, walk, and hang out. There are also picnic areas for lunch! The girls had such a good time and I love seeing their faces as they realized that they were seeing actual footprints made by real dinosaurs so long ago.

See dinosaur fossils/footprints (2018)

See a Lunar Eclipse (2018) -  There are so many wonderful and amazing creations in the world. God continues to surprise me with the beautiful wonders of the world. Even in something as small as a lunar eclipse. We heard that one would be visible in our area after the first of the year. This year it was not only going to be an eclipse, but a super blood moon. What perfect timing, since Santa brought Gracie a telescope for Christmas and it gave us a great chance to use it. We had not got it all set up yet, and so I set my alarm for an hour before the eclipse started to get it put together. 3 a.m. rolls around and I am up, trying to build a telescope from a list of parts. I finally got it all set and headed outside to get it fixed on the eclipse before waking up Shannon and the girls. Once outside I was unable to get it to work. Devastated, I assumed I had a faulty telescope and I was going to ruin the fun of the eclipse. Trying to salvage what I could, I started googling telescope problems. Come to find out, you have to let it adjust to temperature changes for about an hour. Since it was seventy-two degrees in my house, and thirty-two degrees outside, it had fogged up the mirror... or lenses.. or whatever is in there. I headed in to wait. At four a.m, as the eclipse was starting, I finally got it to work. All of us were able to see the lunar eclipse happening. I am not sure the girls shared my enthusiasm. To them it was cold... and early... and boring. As the morning rolled on, you could eventually see it without the telescope but by then everyone else was back in bed and sound asleep. 

Teach Someone Illiterate to Read(2018)

Have my writing published (2017)

See the Full House House (2017)

See the Golden Gate Bridge (2017)

Visit a Titanic Exhibit (2017)

Ride a Polar Express Train Ride (2016)

Go to Las Vegas (2016)

See a Cirque du Soleil show (2016)

Visit Luckenbach (2016)

Visit Palo Dura Canyon (2016)

Visit Cadillac Ranch (2016)

Have a silly string fight (2016)

See Willie Nelson in concert (2015)

Karaoke (2015)

See Reba in Concert (2015)

Visit Mission Basilica (2014)



















Go to San Diego Zoo (2014)


Make my own pinata (2014)

Go berry picking (2014)

Go to a nude beach (2014)


Go to Gas Monkey Garage (2013)



Go to Ft Worth Stockyards (2013)





Complete a 365 day photo project (2013)

Go to a fish auction (2013)
Pet a Kangaroo (2013)

Ride an elephant (2013)


Feed and Pet a stingray (2013)

Make my own Limoncello (2012)
Dive with the sharks (2012)

See a black sand beach (2012)

Visit an active Volcano (2012)

Melt crayons onto a canvas (2012)
Witness a solar eclipse (2012)

Have a painting party (2012)

Eat at the "Top of Waikiki"(2012)
Attend Spam Jam (2012)
Go on a Catamaran cruise (2012)
Complete something off of someone else's bucketlist (2012)

Visit NY city (2012)

Do A Polar Bear Plunge (2012)

Eat at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant (2012)
Ride on a big green tractor (2011)
Have something named after me (2011)
Drink coconut milk straight from a coconut (2011)

Have a baby (2011)

Attend an authentic Luau (2011)


See Sugarland in concert (2011)

Go on a whale watching tour (2011)


See the USS Arizona (2010)



Go to a Drive in Movie (2010)- While visiting Flossie in Detroit, before heading out for a trip to Colorado, we went to a drive in movie. It was my first time to be at one! I did fall asleep during the movie, but that was part of what makes drive-ins so great, the freedom to do whatever you want during the movie.

Since this initial experience, we have been to the drive in multiple times and it is one of the girls favorite ways to see a movie! We live near "The Last Drive In Picture Show" and it is a GREAT place to go if you are in the area. We pack up dinner, snacks, drinks, and folding chairs and get to eat and watch two movies for only $10.

Go to a Haunted House (2010)

Take a train ride through the mountains (2010)-


Volunteer at a zoo/aquarium(2010)-
In 2010 I volunteered at the Institute for Marine and Mammal Studies in Gulfport, MS. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot of things about the animals! I not only had to work at the facility and with children during the tours, ;but we had to walk the beach weekly to check for dead or beached marine life. If I ever live close to something like this again, I would love to volunteer.

On a side note, in 2006 I also worked at a wild cat rescue. It was not a zoo, but it was still working with animals. There were multiple different kinds of cats. Bobcats, tigers, lions, cougars, and jaguars. It was privately owned and the man who ran it needed some extra help feeding the animals. He worked and was trying to run the rescue by himself. I was happy to help out, and love volunteering, so I decided to accept the position. I went every Tuesday and Thursday and fed the cats and helped with the cleaning. There were a few scary moments working with such large wild animals, but such an amazing experience. If you ever have the chance you should volunteer at something like the IMMS or the large cat rescue. These kind of 

Eat at the restaurant where buffalo wings were invented (2010)- For my 28th birthday, we flew to Michigan to visit Flossie and Mike. After spending the night there (and devouring White Castle Burgers for the first time), we took a road trip over to New York. While we were there we went and ate buffalo wings in Buffalo at the Anchor Bar. It is such an interesting place and a must see if you are in that part of the world. They not only have amazing wings, but to see the story behind the creation makes it all the more wonderful.


Go to the Rock and roll Hall of Fame in Ohio (2010)- On the same trip as the Anchor Bar buffalo wings, we also made a quick stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH. We, unfortunately, were not able to visit as long as I would have liked because they were only open another hour or so after we arrived. I did get to see so many cool things and would love to return and spend hours just looking around. The highlight of the visit to the museum, was the moment that I walked into a completely glass wall. The security guard on the other side (and Flossie) were unable to contain their laughter. I can joke about it now, but wow, that was embarrassing!

See Niagara Falls(2010) - The whole reason for the trip was to see Niagara Falls. I was not disappointed at all with adding this item to my list. The Falls are one of the most beautiful sites that I have ever seen. We took the Maid of the Mist tour, which I think is a must for anyone who visits the Falls. With better planning, and more time and money, there were some other cool things to do and see in the area, but I saw what I came for and I left happy. If I see them again, maybe it will be from the Canada side!



Ride in a limo (2010)- Once I started talking about my bucketlist to people, I mentioned that I had never been in a limo. So when Flossie came to the coast for a wedding, she invited me to the bachelorette party so that we could all ride in the limo! We went to a bar in long beach and then the Hard Rock Casino. A few weeks later I rode in another limo for a co-workers birthday. 

Spend Mardi Gras on Bourbon St (2010)- One year, for Mardi Gras, we (Kim, Flossie, Mike, Flossies brother and his friend) decided to go to Bourbon Street! I had been to many parades on the coast and I loved them all, but being ON Bourbon street was a totally different experience completely! It was amazing and insane all at the same time. We had to arrive by 6 am to be able to catch the early parades. Although the streets were already crowded, it was tolerable and we were able to see everything. Once the parades were over, the place got crazy! The crowds kept growing as the day went on. People drank more and more, until they became rude and sometimes violent. I am so glad that I got to experience this adventure once, but I do not think I will ever do it again! 

Have my tarot cards read (2009)- In 2010 I went to Michigan to visit my friend Flossie. She has always been a huge supporter of my bucket list and she tried to set up a fun filled weekend, full of marking things off of my list! While I was there she took me to have my cards read. Honestly, there were a couple of times the lady said some things that seemed cool, but I don’t feel like she had some insight into my future or my soul. Now, in 2019, I am at a point in my life and my faith where this would have never been on my list, but it was still an interesting experience!!

Eat escargot (2009)- On this whirlwind, bucket list weekend, we went to a nice restaurant and had escargot! If you aren’t aware what they are, it is cooked land snails. They tasted mostly like boiled mushrooms covered in garlic and butter. It is not the best thing I have ever had, but I wouldn’t turn them down if they were offered at a meal.

See the Nutcracker Ballet live (2009)- After our snail filled dinner, we went to watch the Nutcracker Ballet! I had never seen it before. It was such an awesome experience! There was a bar in the theater where we spent the rest of the evening.

Visit the Menger Hotel in San Antonio (2009)- One week we decided to take a trip over to San Antonio from where we were stationed in Mississippi. Sea World offered free tickets to military for Salute to the Heroes and we wanted to use them! While we were there we spent a day walking around and sight-seeing the cool things near the Alamo. Our first stop for the day was the Menger Hotel. The Menger is a historic hotel that boast the title of "Oldest continuously operating hotel west of the Mississippi river. Teddy Roosevelt used it to recruit his Rough Riders. It has also hosted some of Texas most elite guests for galas and cotillion parties since the 1800's. The hotel itself is beautiful inside and out and is full of history. You can see photos and memorabilia as you walk the hallways. We went for breakfast and were treated to one of the most amazing buffets I have ever had. There is not room in this blog to list all the food options that were available, and everything I tried tasted remarkable. There is also tale that the hotel is haunted, if you are into that kind of thing. I do hope to go back one day and be able to stay the night. I would love to grace the rooms where presidents of the 19th century once stayed.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1oTacH-1atHteo_0IkiQCV7AXA-wimFbI




Be a vegetarian for a period of time (2009) -  After talking with a lady one day about her vegetarian lifestyle, it made me question how difficult not eating meat would be. Not just missing the meat, but finding suitable choices at restaurants etc. So, I put it on my BL to try going without meat for a period of time. It took me a few weeks to decide to follow through with it. Once I started, I consumed no meat for the entire duration. I planned on continuing for a month, but after twelve days I decided that I had learned all that I was going to learn and that I really like meat. During the experience I got to see the places that someone would struggle to eat if meat was off your menu. I did eat some different substitutes and had a lot of salad. In the end, that lifestyle is just not for me. 

Trace my ancestry (2009)- With the popularity of ancestry websites picking up, it is becoming easier and easier to do this. I spent a few weeks looking up info and collaborating with other family members to get a basic look at my family tree! I did not find too many interesting things, just basic information. 

Go to a NASCAR race (2009)- A group of friends from work all packed up and took a trip to Talladega to see the NASCAR race and Zac Brown Band. It was during Halloween weekend and so it was called “Hallowdega.” There was a costume party and concert the Saturday night before the race. A good time was had by all! Since I am not a huge NASCAR fan, I had no idea what racers I should be going for, or the details of the race. When we got there that morning and got our seats, I just picked a random driver and made him the one I was rooting for that day. I selected Max Pappis.. and he lost. Glad I didn't bet money on it! 

Visit Hank Srs grave (2009)- I am a huge fan of classic country. Almost any country song from the 1950s through the 1980s just speaks to my heart. I’m an old soul and if I had to listen to only one genre of music for the rest of my life, that would be it. I love all the artists, not just the popular ones. Hank Williams will always be my favorite. The moment that twang escapes his lips on a song, it sets a peace over me and I can’t help but smile. Unfortunately, like a lot of our best artists, he was gone too soon. Seeing his grave, and paying tribute to him has always been a dream of mine. So one day, my friend Kim and I, loaded up the truck and headed to Alabama. We had an amazing girls trip, saw some super cool things, and of course visited the cemetery where him and Audrey are laid to rest. We even got to see the actual car where he took his final breath on that New Years Eve night. And if you’re in Montgomery, what can you not pass up.... a midnight visit to the grave. “Cause it's midnight in Montgomery, Just hear that whip-poor-will, See the stars light up the purple sky, Feel that lonesome chill, 'Cause when the wind is right, You'll hear his song, Smell whiskey in the air, Midnight in Montgomery, Hanks always singin' there”

Airboat across alligator infested swamps (2008)- Of course, living on the gulf coast, this is something you HAVE to do! You learn a ton about alligators and air boats and get to see them in their natural habitat. I even got to hold a baby gator! I will tell you that on my first time to do this my initial impression was that it was scary and loud. Once I had been on it for a bit, I started to relax and it was really nice. It became the place where I wanted to take everyone who came to the coast to visit! If you are ever in Louisiana or Mississippi, I highly recommend finding a place and doing this! 

Go Parasailing (2008)- On a day trip to Pensacola my husband and I went parasailing! I was pretty scared, and almost back out, but I am so glad that I did. It was such an amazing experience. If you have not done it before I recommend it. I am not afraid of heights, but I do prefer to know I am safe and do not like that losing my stomach feeling of roller coasters. I am also not a fan of water. Those thinks combined made this adventure pretty far out of my comfort zone. Surprisingly, it was not bad. Only one time the boat hit a few little waves and I was scared for a split second, but I never felt in actual danger!



Find out my blood type (2008)- I had actually never really felt the need to know my blood type. I don’t know if it was just young age or the fact that I had never even had a serious medical concern that would warrant me knowing it. When I started work as an EMT in late 2007, it became a more prominent piece of information that I felt was needed. So, in 2008 at a blood drive at my office, I found out that I was O+. (Don’t ask me why I didn’t just call my parents and ask. I tend to do things the hard way)

Visit a museum with King tuts artifacts (2007) - While I was home visiting my parents, my brother and I went to see the King Tut exhibit in Dallas. What an amazing thing to witness. There were actual artifacts from his tomb and loads of information to see and read. I have always been a huge fan of Egyptian history and this was such an amazing experience. Colton and I even had fun in the gift shop after we were done!

Tour the Pentagon (2006) - While I was living in Virginia, I was blessed by my good friend Missy with the opportunity to take a special visit of the Pentagon. Missy, Crystal and I loaded up and headed to DC. When we arrived we headed straight to the Pentagon. What a wonderful adventure. Since our visit was after 9-11-2001 so we were able to see the area that was once a mess of rubble and destruction. We also got to see the memorial area and facts about the attack itself.  We even got to go in the actual press room and take a picture. It was a great visit that I would love to do again when Gracie is a little older!

See the Hollywood Walk of Fame (2004) -  While I was in California attending my husbands graduation from A-school, we took a trip to Hollywood. We saw all the sights you could hope to see while you are there and on an E-2 budget! We drove down Rodeo drive, we looked at the stars on the sidewalk, and went and spotted the Hollywood sign!

Be featured in a big city newspaper (1993) - My dad and I were front page of the sports section of the Austin American Statesman because of our archery hobby that led me to qualify for the championship archery competition.

Win an archery competition (1993) - When I was young my dad taught me how to shoot a bow. He was an avid bow hunter, so it was only right that I learn also. I picked up the sport quickly and as a 10-12 year old girl, I spent my weekends doing 3-D competitions in Central Texas. I won lots of awards and spent some quality father daughter time that I know a lot of girls that age are not lucky enough to get. I didn't have a bucket list at this time, but as I started putting it together, these are big ticket items that I would have included.

Comments

Popular Posts